In this article
- Step 1 - Turn on Outbound Relay in Google Apps Dashboard
- Step 2 - Configure Gmail Web Client
- Step 3 - Sending a message
Step 1 - Turn on Outbound Relay in Google Apps DashboardFirst off, the 'Outbound Relay' option must be turned on for your google apps domain. This needs doing only once, and must be done by your Google Apps administrator.
- Log into your Google Apps dashboard at https://google.com/a/yourdomain (where yourdomain is your google apps domain name)
- Click the Settings tab on the top bar, then Email in the left menu.
- Scroll down the email settings until you reach the options for 'Outbound Relay'
- Check the box titled ' Allow users to send mail through an external SMTP...'
- Click Save Changes
- This step is complete. You can now close the dashboard.
Step 2 - Configure Gmail Web ClientThis step will need doing for each google apps user. We add an extra 'from address' to the account and set mail from that address to go via mkryptor cloud:
- First, log into the gmail web client at mail.google.com
- Once you're logged in and can see your inbox, click the cog icon in the top right
- Click 'Settings from the drop-down menu
- Click the 'Accounts' Link in the menu at the top
- In the section labelled 'Send mail as', click the 'Add another email address you own' link
- The Name box should already be pre-filled with your name. If not, enter your name in the box. (This is the name that people will see when they receive emails from you).
- In the Email Address box, enter email@example.com. For instance if your normal address was firstname.lastname@example.org, you would enter email@example.com.
- NOTE: Whatever address you enter here should also be the address that you set against your mkryptor cloud subscription
- Click Next Step.
- This will take you back to the Accounts menu.
- In the list of addresses you'll see the new address that you just created
- (This is the important bit) Click the 'edit info' link next to the new address
- When the Edit email address window pops up, click 'Next Step'
On the next screen:
- Select 'Send through yourdomain.com SMTP Servers' (the second option)
- Enter the SMTP Server as 'cloud.mkryptor.com', then put your fresh skies username (email) and password in the username and password boxes
- Change Port to 25
- Ensure that the TLS option is selected
- Click 'Save Changes'
- If you have entered all details correctly, you should be returned to the account settings page.
- If you entered any details correctly, you will be shown an error message. Correct the error and click 'Save Changes' again.
- This step is now complete
Step 3 - Sending a message
- Click the 'Compose' button to write a new message
- You'll see that the From address now has a dropdown box next to it.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to the From address and select your new 'firstname.lastname@example.org' address
- Write the rest of your email as normal.
- When you click send the message will be delivered via mkryptor cloud.
It is recommended that you set your mkryptor cloud settings (via the mkryptor cloud control panel) to always require encryption.
- To send normal messages, just compose as usual (don't change the From address).
- To send an mkrypted message, change the from address to your 'email@example.com' address.